Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Our first night away from the baby....

Well, we had our first night away from the baby. We had two actually. And they weren't exactly how I imagined the first night away from him would be.

You see on Wednesday my mom came over to help me start packing up for the big move. I had another "episode" of back pain that I've had on and off throughout my pregnancy ( like this time )and several times since Little Man was born. Anyway, my mom (being a nurse and all) convinced me that the pain wasn't normal and I should go to the ER. Since the pain I feel during a typical "episode" is worse then labor was I agreed. So, we went. And I was admitted to the hospital and the next day had surgery to remove a gall stone from the duct between my gall bladder, liver and intestine...and then the following day (July 4th) had surgery to remove my pesky gall bladder.


All these procedures meant two nights in the hospital so my mom kept Little Man at home so I could "get some rest." I totally appreciate my mom's help although I'm not sure how much rest I got with nurses coming in and out and the IV alarm going off every hour or so. I cried hysterically when the Little Man had to leave that first night. I totally felt like a failure as a mom since the pain was making me totally unable to take care of him. In the end though I know it was better to go ahead and get rid of the gall bladder and have two nights without him so I could take care of him in the future.

He was a total champ. He had to have bottles for almost 4 days straight due to the fact that I had to pump and dump due to all the medications I was on....plus the time I was totally out of it for the procedures. He transitioned back to breastfeeding without a problem.

The silver lining of this cloud (besides freedom from the pain) is that I was on a liquid diet for two and a half days and spent about 15 hours total on nothing by mouth restrictions which helped some of the remaining baby weight just melt away.

I hope your 4th was more exciting then mine.
We took pictures of the Little Man at 1 month but I can't find the camera-computer cord. It is somewhere among all the boxes we're packing for our move on Tuesday. But I promise to post it eventually.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Don't beat yourself up and let yourself recover from your surgeries. I've had the gall bladder removed and it hurt (mainly the gas pain) but don't feel bad. I'm glad your home now :).

6:57 AM  
Blogger katd said...

That stinks!! I hope things are getting better and that the move is going very smoothly:)

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home