Friday, July 20, 2007

Friday.....should be great, right?

During the school year, I love Fridays. At school I usually go to Friday lunch at Rosa's with the 8th grade teachers....the food is delicious and the company is usually hilarious. Plus everyone is in such a great mood because it is Friday and there are only two class periods left.

Anyway, now it is summer and Fridays are more or less the same as other days since I'm only working when I want to this summer. Today should've been a great Friday since JW stayed home from work so that he could watch the British Open. I had two things on my agenda: an 8am appointment with Dr. K and a research paper for grad school that is breathing down my neck.

So I went to the doctor's office at 8am. They weren't there yet. By the time they opened the doors there were seven of us waiting in the hall. It was kind of crazy and I felt like I should start a conversation but didn't. I was the second one called. They did blood work and put me in a room where I waited for almost 30 minutes (yes, I timed it). Dr. K had some retrievals or something this morning which is why he was running behind but it was so uncomfortable to sit on the exam table undressed from the waist down for 30 minutes. Anyway, the ovaries are looking good and everything is on track. When I was leaving there were still girls sitting in the waiting area who had come in with me at 8am....but it was now a little after 9am. I was glad that I wasn't working because it would've stressed me out for a bloodwork and ultrasound appointment to take over an hour.

Anyway, As I was walking out of the office I hear someone say my name. I turn and there is my good friend T. She was suppose to have her beta this morning for her first IVF cycle. She had her IVF done up in Virginia and was going to her OB/GYN's office for the beta, estradiol and progesterone...but her OB/GYN can only get the beta results on the same day and her clinic in VA wanted them. So, she came over to Dr. K's to have her bloodwork done.....but then it turned out that Dr. K's office wouldn't get the results until after her clinic in VA closed so she wound up going back to her OB's office....but we did get to have a nice 20 minute talk.

Sadly, T's beta came back negative. I know they are really sad and it is kind of scary because they are our age and healthy and did everything "right" so it should've worked, right? Their situation is complicated because they live here in Texas but are using a clinic in VA. So in addition to the financial cost of IVF they have to deal with the financial burden of traveling to and from VA, staying in a hotel while there and missing work. Right now they aren't sure when they can try again and when they'll have the money to return to VA for their frozen embryos. My heart is just aching for them. There are really no words.

So then I was just left with an afternoon to work on my research paper and think about failed IVF and IUI cycles. Two verses from the Bible keep going through my head:

Psalm 121:1-2: "I lift my eyes up to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth."

1 Timothy 4:10: "We have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe."

I have put my hope in the Lord and I know T has too. The Lord has a plan for us both and will provide us with families when the timing is right. We will not hope in doctors or counts and numbers....we will hope in the Lord.


Blogger Rachel said...

I am SO sorry about your friend! My heart just aches when I read that. No one should have to go through this, and then to have failed IVF cycles. It's not fair.

And I read your blog all the time :-) How do you put a counter on it?

5:08 AM  
Blogger andrea_jennine said...

The last sentence of this post was a good reminder to me today; thanks!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home