Monday, July 30, 2007

I like to share....but not with boys.

Last night I realized something about myself. I have no problem sharing the details of infertility with friends and strangers alike....but only in small group settings and mainly with girls. Last week I had lunch with two of my friends from college. One of the college friends invited her other friend who I've never met. Despite the fact that I'd known the girl all of 45 minutes I had no problem sharing the story of our journey thus far.
On the other hand, we had our small group from church at our house last night. People were giving updates on their lives and prayer requests--jobs, engagements, babies, housing, whether or not to move overseas, etc. Despite the fact that all the people in this group know about our problems--some in great detail, others vaguely--I couldn't bring myself to talk about it. Maybe it was because it was a mixed gender group and I really don't feel comfortable with my husband's friends and my friend's husbands thinking about my uterus. Maybe it is because I know that these types of conversations about other uteruses (uterui? what is the plural?) make JW uncomfortable.
We are sharing life with this group. I covet their prayers for us....but at the same time I would rather just explain it to the girls. Men do not want to hear about wombs and ovaries.....let's face it even most women don't.

2 Comments:

Blogger nickoletta100 said...

I can understand this. I have spoken to a few boys about it but only when they make it very clear they want to know. Otherwise I just say we are seeing a doctor and hope to have good news soon. Maybe in your prayer group you could just ask for prayers that God bless you with a family. God will know what they are talking about :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger andrea_jennine said...

I often find myself hesitant to talk openly about infertility with guys, too. We lead a small group for young singles, so sharing in detail can get pretty awkward! That said, I have been surprised at how many men ask for more details and seem genuinely interested in the whole process...

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home