Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Good thing I got that Google School of Medicine Degree

Yesterday I was skimming through a book about IVF. It was given to me by a friend and is very informative...although I already know most of the info from the internet.
Anyway, I noticed something in the Stage #1 of IVF chapter that mentioned a hysteroscopy and mock transfer. We had discussed doing IVF back in June but it was cancelled because of our insurance but I did recall that the nurse at the time initially scheduled a hysteroscopy. The current nurse hadn't said anything about this during our phone conversations. So, I called and left a message that went something like this:

"I was wondering if I needed to schedule a hysteroscopy at some point. Also, I have to use F.reedom Drug and my insurance company likes to fill Gonal-F not Follistim. Call me!"

So she called back today to say that oh yes I definitely needed a hysteroscopy and to call the scheduler and set it up. So I call the scheduler and she told me that I had to do it before CD 10....which is Friday!! This is very frustrating to me because I've been off of work all last week and Monday and Tuesday of this week but I have a workshop to go to Wednesday and Thursday.....plus I'm a little frustrated that I had to be the one to call and suggest this procedure. I set up the hysteroscopy for Thursday at noon.

Later the nurse called me back and said "Oh, it doesn't have to be done by CD 10. Monday will be fine." I mentioned the F.reedom Drug and Gonal-F business again and she seemed confused again. I have this sinking feeling that they are going to call it into the wrong place again and then act put out when I call to correct it......but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

A running theme throughout this process seems to be that as a patient you have to be an advocate for yourself. I just wish that doctor's offices would be on the ball enough so that I didn't feel like I had to be my own advocate quite so much.
I wonder what would have become of me without my internet resources. We would probably just be having sex and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting.

Good thing I got that degree from the Google School of Medicine!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Yes! You *totally* have to advocate for yourself! When I first went to the RE, first my HR office said it was not covered, but I had it on the insurance paper that said I was. So I get it approved through my hmo and go. A month later, my hmo sends me a BILL for my visit! My theory is that insurance companies will turn down things like this because the typical person will just pay it anyway - think that they must know what they are doing.
It pays to self-advocate!

Good luck with your cycle!

10:10 PM  
Blogger nickoletta100 said...

I have definitely learned how to be my own advocate, especially with insurance!!! Crazy, huh?

3:56 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Isn't Goggle School the best!? I'm glad you were able to fit everything in and get what you needed done so you didn't have to delay again.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Yetty said...

wow! and i thought I was being extreme whenever I checked Dr G for the facts. thanks for this post. I guess the med staff are just humans afterall

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home