Friday, August 24, 2007

I know this is stupid....

Okay, I know before I write this post that what I'm about to say is kind of stupid....but I have to get it off of my chest so I can function.

One of my co-workers is driving me insane. She often makes comments along the lines of "Well, since I became a mom...." or "I'm a mom so...." For example, last year there was a bad thunderstorm headed our way that potentially contained hail. I mentioned how I hate it when it hails while I'm at school because I just think about how if I was home then my car would be parked safely in our garage. She replied with, "That's how we're so different. I'm a mom so I'm just worried about my mother-in-law going to pick up my daughter during a storm."

Now that example is from last spring but she seems to repeatedly make these types of comments that seem to have the underlying implication that I'm shallow and self absorbed because I don't have kids to worry about.
Honestly it just stings because everytime she makes a comment about being a mom I want to say, "Well, I'm trying to be a mom but it isn't really working out!!!"

I know this is dumb because I know that she doesn't really mean to be hurting my feelings by mentioning how she's a mom all the time. She does probably mean to imply that I'm shallow but whatever!!! I should probably just try to avoid her but that will be difficult since her office is acrossthe ahll from mine.

On an IVF note, I start Lupron tomorrow morning!!

8 Comments:

Blogger glenna marshall said...

That would totally irritate me!!!

Good luck on the Lupron!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Mark, Christine, Ava and Cuatro Danuser said...

Good luck with the injections, sis! And maybe just punch that hag in "the baby-maker...right in the ovary!" :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow I can't believe you're starting already!!! And umm... totally not dumb... annoying and stupid.

It'd be like saying to your single friends "Well since I'm a wife... and since I have a man to take care of... " Just stupid :-) So you're not alone!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

That would really peeve me off too. I mean, just because you're a mom doesn't mean that we don't understand or can't relate to what you're talking about. She shouldn't have to preempt everything with her qualifications. So annoying!

I hope the Lupron is going well! Grow, follies, grow!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Yetty said...

take a deep breath and when you're in a really good mood, let her know her comments have crossed the mean line. I'm hoping/guessing she's more interested in conversing as a collegue than being a malicious person. I hope. Good luck with the IVF. I'll be rooting for you

7:06 PM  
Blogger hope548 said...

I think that would annoy me whether I was infertile or not!
Good luck with the lupron!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Searching said...

Ooo, I'd be SO mad! I've been dealing with some similar comments at work and when I complained to hubby last night he said not to get grumpy because she doesn't know what difficulties I may going through and probably doesn't mean to hurt my feelings. Alright, so he's most likely right but that's not what I want to hear. So I'll side with the crowd that says that sucks, you have a right to be upset about it, and go ahead and cry if you want to. Helpful and mature, I know, but sometimes you just gotta feel cranky and growl a little bit! GL with the injections!!

9:49 AM  
Blogger nickoletta100 said...

I would be very annoyed too!! Even if I were a mom!

YAY for starting Lupron!!!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home