Monday, January 28, 2008

Baby comments from teenagers....

I work at a middle school. I coach 7th grade cheerleaders. I work with teenage girls in our church's youth group. I spend a lot of time with girls aged 12-16. Here are some of the great conversations I've had this week:

Conversation 1:
The girls at cheer practice asked me if we knew if it was a girl or a boy yet. Alex and Tarah are two girls on my squad.

Me: We aren't going to find out. We're going to be surprised.
Tarah: What? How do you have a baby shower if you don't know what it is?
Me: Um, I guess you just get the things that all babies need whether they are girls or boys.
Tarah: Like diapers?
Alex: Yeah. And bottles.

Isn't it great to know that despite the multi million dollar baby product industry all I'll really need is diapers and bottles??

Conversation 2:
Courtney: When is your baby due?
Me: Early June. Right after school let's out.
Courtney: That's cool. You should wait and have it in July because that's when my birthday is.
Me: It would be great to have the baby on your birthday but I don't think I can hold the baby in for four extra weeks.
Courtney: Oh yeah. I guess.

Conversation 3:
Jessica: Is it a boy or a girl?
Me: We aren't going to find out.
Jessica: So, it'll be a surprise.
Mariah: That's stupid. Why would you do that?
Me: Umm....

Now, although I was a little caught off guard Mariah's comment of "that's stupid" wasn't totally unexpected. Mariah thinks lots of things that adults do or say are stupid. The funny thing about this conversation is that I don't really have a great answer for "Why would you do that?"....except "Because we don't want to know." Mariah went on to tell me how it is "stupid" to wait until after the baby gets here to buy clothes or to paint the nursery green. The funny thing is that I've had plenty of adults tell me the same thing....they just have a little more tact so they don't blurt out that they think we're stupid or insane....they just say it behind your back :)

4 Comments:

Blogger nickoletta100 said...

I envy the people that have the patience to be surprised! BTW, we know we are having a girl and the nursery is still painted green :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger katd said...

:) Pre-teen girls - there's nothing better, right? :) My students asked me flat out why we were adopting...something along the lines of, "Can't you have a baby?" Nice. :) I love the surprise of not knowing - won't it make that moment when he/she is delivered so awesome? Not that it wouldn't be without...you know what I mean! :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

I do find it interesting that many of the objections to waiting to know the gender center around shopping. Babies really don't care if they are in pink or blue! My friend's own baby pics are mostly in blue since her parents had a boy first. As she puts it, "The clothes worked just fine and babies don't have fashion preferences yet!"

8:33 AM  
Blogger amy said...

Sara--exactly!! And I actually think I'm saving tons of money because I'm so drawn to baby stuff that if I knew for sure it was a girl or a boy I know I'd already have a closet full of baby clothes...:)

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home