Thursday, March 20, 2008

What's in a name.... (updated)

I told JW last night that he only has 11 Saturdays until the baby arrives....thinking about it like that made me realize how fast the time is going to pass...especially since my weeks will be filled with work, grad school and finding a new job. JW's response was, "I guess we should pick a name." The name game has been difficult for us. We never really talked about names during the whole struggle to get pregnant. It hurt my heart to try to name a baby that didn't seem like it would ever be real. So, no names were really discussed until the beta in September. Since then we've narrowed the list down....sort of.

If this baby is a boy, then his name will be Noah. I've loved the name Noah forever and it is the only name JW and I both like for a boy. (Side note: I also really like Nathan and Graham but JW wouldn't really go for either of those)
The girl name is where the real problems begin. We had it pretty much narrowed down to Parker or Meryn. We can't agree on how to spell Meryn though.....here are the options generated by us and our family members:

Meryn
Merin
Marin
Maren

Maren got on the list in the first place because we heard it in a movie and liked it. I assumed at the time that it was spelt Merin....Erin with an M on it. Later I saw online a girl who named her baby "Maren" and I said, "She named her baby Merin but look how she spelled it." JW replied, "That's how it is spelled." Oh.
Then I was looking for bedding and saw a bedding set named Meryn....loved the spelling (didn't care for the bedding). And so the debate began...and continues.

Then lately JW brought up Olivia. And there is something about Olivia that is growing on me despite its popularity.

So, sisters in blogland, what do you think?? Leave a comment and let me know.
(And since my real life sister reads this blog as well you can chime in and vote too although I know you like the spelling Marin.)

Oh, and the middle name for a girl will be Leigh if we use Parker or Merin. Lee is JW's middle name. We won't use Leigh for Olivia though....we would use Peyton (or maybe Payton) which is JW's grandfather's name.

UPDATE: I promise not be offended at all by any of your opinions (even if you say you hate all the names and you hate me too) as long as you promise not be offended if we pick something besides what you suggest :)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is fun!! I am so big on names!!
I went to school with a Maren, and I have to say that I like it spelled that way the best.
Merin reminds me of Merlin the magician, and Meryn reminds me of Mervyn's (it's a retail store up here...). So that is why I like Maren the best.
On that note, I have to say that I love Parker Leigh, Maren Leigh, and also Olivia Peyton, so I honestly don't think that you can go wrong with any of those three! An Noah is so precious. So good luck with deciding on all of your names they are wonderful!!

laurel
(a tttc nestie)

4:48 PM  
Blogger andrea_jennine said...

I like them all, but I like Olivia best. For the M... variations, I think "Merin" is the most phonetic, for whatever that's worth.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Yetty said...

I like Meryn but thats because i play more than a fair amount of scrabble and I know Y is a rare letter and I like uncommon things. I think its a uniques spelling. I also love Peyton Olivia or Olivia Peyton... thats sounds grand :)

7:59 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I LOVE the name Olivia but it's on the top ten list which is why I'm not using it. I like Maren a lot too, and I like it spelled with an A the best, I think it's more feminine that way.

Great names!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Olivia Meryn...I love the name Olivia. It is just a beautiful name :). I can't wait to find out what you are having!

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Meryn.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Mary is much prettier than Marin, Marin is the name of a town in CA that I live near. I like Olivia because the nickname could be Libby, which is cute.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love both marin and meryn. marin may be mispronounced b/c the city/county in CA is ma-rin.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

If a girl, I vote for Marin. I think it's unique and if spelled this way people will pronounce it correctly. There is a tv show called Men in Trees and the main character spells her name Marin as well. :) Congrats on the little one on the way!

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandaughter's name is Maren Elizabeth and I just love the Maren spelling and the name. I hope it's a girl.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home